24/04/2015

The Street Store - All the feelings.

I've done interviews. I've written social media posts. I've done talks. But I have never brought myself to write a blog about The Street Store - and the utter joy it brings me - because it's hard to put my feelings into words.

The Street Store is like my baby. I love it, no, I cherish it and everyone who is a part of it, with all my heart and soul. It's still surreal how these two scribbles on a page, became what they did.



It has been the most incredible 15 months, and every day seems to get better. It's not the awards - yes, of course they're lovely - but it's so much more.

It's a reminder in inherent kindness that exists out there. People who go out of their way to bring dignity to the homeless in their community. These people give me hope and inspire me to try and do more.

We've estimated that over 200,000 homeless have been clothed globally. 200,000. A number I can't even start to imagine. It would have been quite literally impossible if there weren't good people out there willing to make the world a better place. This is not a way of showing off our success, because it really isn't about success. It's a way to show that no matter how small an idea may seem, with the help of others, with collaboration, with sharing - it can have gigantic impact. So it's always worth a try.

It's also shown me what it feels like for a company to really and truly care about making a difference. M&C Saatchi Abel has taken on this initiative with such love, enthusiasm and passion. It's a privilege to work for a company that believes in its people, in small ideas becoming big ones, and seeing and supporting it all through to the end - whenever that end may (or may not) be. People ask me what it's like to work here, and truthfully, it's like working with my second family. Mike, Gordon, Jason, and everyone else - thank you.

It's shown me what people can pull off and make happen when they push through the tough times. What did Max, Faheem, Kim and I know about a) helping the homeless, b) running a charity, c) keeping a charity going, and 4) somehow surviving all of the above? The answer is zero. And now I know that no matter how tough or even impossible something may seem - it is possible. This thing has bonded us in a way that I will never be able to put into words. I just have this for you: love, respect, and all the trust in the world.




The Street Store has become a part of me. I live, breathe, think, and dream Street Store. I can't remember a time before it, and I hope to never have a time after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment