22/04/2014

The Pole Project: time to let loose

The truth is, a small part of me will always be disappointed that I've never had the chance to whip my hair back and forth on a bar like one of the Coyote Ugly girls. I watched Striptease with one eye open, half anxious my parents would walk in, half desperate to jump up on a pole and give it a whirl.

That said, I certainly don't have moves like Jagger. It takes a good few gin and tonics to get me on a dancefloor, especially if people are watching, or heaven forbid, JUDGING me.

It was a combination of absolute panic, peer pressure and sheer fascination that resulted in me gravitating towards a big pole dancing pole at The Women's Lifestyle expo this weekend. I think it was the six cups of coffee I drank before 10am that got me to actually take the pole for a spin. And this is how it went down:

Not sexy
All I can say is that I'm not a natural. I felt like I was learning how to drive again, I just couldn't get it. BUT I AM NOT GOING TO LET THAT DAMN POLE GET THE BETTER OF ME, DAMMIT!


So I'm starting pole dancing classes with the incredible Kathy Lee (who is the one actually doing the move in the image above) who owns The Pole Project.

Kathy explains that you should forget the seedy stripper stereotype, because pole dancing a form of artistic self-expression, as well as an incredible way to work out the entire bod. She says that you work muscles that you didn't know you had. Considering that I don't have any muscles, this is going to be interesting.

As some of you know, I recently started this whole fitness thing, and it's going ok. In December I weighed 76kgs and I realised I wanted a change - more about that shit-hole here. As we all know, sticking to an exercise routine ain't easy, so in an attempt to find something that is both exercise and FUN, The Pole Project seems p.e.r.f.e.c.t.

Because I like lists, here is one about the awesomeness of The Pole Project:

1. It's for men and women, any age and any size.

2. There is both a fitness class and a more sensual class for women who want to get in touch with their bodies.

3. You don't have to have any prior dance experience. You learn everything from the beginning.

4. Each dancer gets his or her own pole, so there is no waiting around. Small classes mean plenty of attention, help and guidance.

5. Prices vary depending on the contract you go for, but can be as cheap as R60 per class if you go three times a week. Clickity click here for the price list.

6. If you aren't sure if it's for you, but want to try it out, you can book a free trial session by emailing info@thepoleproject.co.za

So think of me tomorrow night as I'll be the elephant trying to slide gracefully down a pole, embarrassing myself, probably hurting myself, and laughing all the way through it. Please give The Pole Project a follow on Twitter and show them a little love on Facebook and I promise to upload plenty of awkward photos until I can finally do this:

Photo by Lorna Rae Daniel

Seriously, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment