17/02/2014

76kgs of unhappiness.

FYI: I am not being paid for this. I am not receiving free things. I even had to give the watch back after I reviewed it. I am writing this from the heart of a human, not an asshole blogger.

I've never been a very big person. But because I am 1,73 with quite broad shoulders and hips that don't lie, I've also never been tiny. Three years ago I started writing restaurant reviews, and since then I've steadily put on kg on top of kg. 15 of them to be exact.

“I would rather eat what I want than die skinny” - I've always said. And it’s true. But when I was honest with myself, I wasn’t happy. Three quarters of my cupboard didn’t fit anymore. I started only wearing baggy tops, pretending that it was just my new style. I've tried to find some photos to explain the change - but I can't. I hid in my clothes and didn't take many photos. But still, I've been lying to myself and pretending that I was fine with it. "I don't wear bikinis because I'm too old for them". Yeah, sure Kayli.


In November I was given a TomTom Runner watch to review and I was incredibly skeptical. I stared at it for about a month and a half, unwilling to give it a try. Firstly, what was the point if I couldn’t run more than 500m? Secondly, how could a watch help me? Obviously I wasn't going to like using it. I didn't need a watch to tell me how incredibly unhealthy and unfit I was.

Finally I decided to give it a go. I tried it and managed to run 400m, walked home and threw it on the table. I hated it. I hated how it showed the details of my failure. I couldn't believe I was so incapable.

A few weeks later, the watch was still staring at me from my desk. Calling me names. So I thought I'd try again. As I ran I was watching the meters tick past. 370m. 380m. 390m. 395m. 396m. 937m. 398m. 399m. 400m. 401m. 402m. And I kept going. I wanted to show the watch that I was better than 400m. Don't get me wrong, I didn't run the comrades, it was just 450m - but it was something.

Slowly but surely, very slowly but surely, this little watch has been pushing me to go a little further every time. It's gotten to the point that I look forward to going for a jog, so that I can see whether I go further, faster. Having something to measure against has been the most freeing and motivating feeling in the world. For some a trainer does the same job, but not for me - I can't bear the embarrassment of failure in their eyes (or afford them). But with this little watch, even when I don't make my goal, no one needs to know. And my disappointment in myself fades as I plug the it in the computer and it pulls up all my past activity. Seeing it all there, seeing the improvement. Seeing that I can do it. Makes it ok. I don't have to the best runner in the world. I'm never going to be. I'm also never going to be a petite person. And that's fine too. But I can be happy with who I am.

I didn't take a before and after photo. Not for one moment did I think that I'd have an after photo to be proud of. But I have lost 8kgs. And more importantly, I can run 4km. I have never, ever, ever been able to get anywhere close to that.

This week I am going on a trail run with some friends. It's the first time I've agreed to run with people - because it's the first time I'm not embarrassed. Now that I think of it, I have been lying to myself for such a long time. About my body, my health and how I felt about myself. But no more. I've still got a while to go, but even getting there makes me happy.

So, TomTom, I think you were expecting a review about the technicalities, the functions, and the comfort. The way the watch works and how doesn't work. But you're not getting any of that.

All you're getting is this, because in my mind, it is far more meaningful than a star rating.



15 comments:

  1. Wow, well done on the 8kg.
    I have hidden behind my height for ages - using it as an excuse for my weight.
    Except I'm also 1.73cm. And even if you 8kgs twice to 76, it's still less that I weight. Shocking, disgusting.
    Well done on the running!! Enjoy the Trail runs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww don't say that! :( Disgusting is a horrible word and you definitely don't deserve that. Seriously, if I - the Queen of laziness - can do anything, you can! xx

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Go Kayli. So proud of you. Whatever it takes hey? Wish the bloody voices in my head would shut up too. I start bootcamp tonight because when I did it in 2012 I may have hated every minute of the running but I loved how much stronger I felt after 2 months (39 days of bootcamp). For just once in my life I could actually walk in heels because my core was strong enough to support me. Thank you for being brave enough to post this. I may one day be brave enough to take a page out of you book too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I didn't realise that core strength helped with walking in heels. I can't really walk in heels, I must give it a go! Thank you again for the lovely words. xx

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! Well on losing the kg's! I think this is more valuable and relevant than a review that tells you about the specs of the watch. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, I love "real people" posts and this was no exception. Huge congrats on your weight loss and running improvements, and I really do hope your trail run was FUN!

    gaelynsheartofiron.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and ps - I also have a Tom Tom sports watch that is amazingly helpful. Sometimes it feels likey own little cheerleader pushing me on!

      Delete
    2. I agree completely! It's totally a little cheerleader, but an unintimidating one. I did the trail run this evening. I didn't realise how much harder it is than road running. I am POOPED!

      Delete
  5. I did the same thing, but just used the app with my samsung s4. 8kg since Jan.

    Handy little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow well done! :) I found an app for iPhone. I just don't like running with my phone :/ Going to do some saving to get a watch.

      Delete