06/06/2013

How not to be an asshole blogger that everyone hates

Dear bloggers of the world,

You guys are all important. Why? Because you inform opinions, change perceptions, and can actually make a real difference to people, clients, brands, AND THE WORLD! *cue applause*

This is a huge responsibility. But some just don’t take it seriously. And you know what that means? Since we are all (sadly) squashed under one general title – you make us ALL look bad.

So…



HOW NOT TO BE AN ASSHOLE BLOGGER THAT EVERYONE HATES:


1.     Blegging. 

This perfectly describes THE Cardinal Sin. If you are going to beg, at least do it in an email so no one sees what a blegging asshole you are. If a brand offers you something, that’s one thing - but if you start publically asking for stuff, everyone is going to hate you.
“Wow, I wish I was on your guestlist, I’d give you so much exposure”“Ahh, you guys should totally invite me for dinner! *wink wink*”

2.     Faux-adoration.

A twist on Point 1. If you dig a brand. Tell them. Tell them once. Tell them twice. But when you start replying to every single one of their tweets and posts and Facebook statuses with love and adoration, it all becomes a bit too much, and far too fake. Which means that undoubtedly, everyone is going to hate you.


3.     Master of All Trades. 

“I am a lifestyle, sports, car, restaurant, food, product, airplane, hotel, technology, clothes, make up, accessories, oh and party blogger.” No, no you aren’t. Just because you want a whole lot of stuff, doesn’t mean you know anything about it. Find your speciality and its surrounding topics, and stick with them. And if something different comes up, read up about it before you write nonsense. Otherwise, everyone is going to hate you.


4.     Dickface. 

Stop being a dickface. Whether you are a sexist, racist, homophobic, classist (because that still exists) dickface: just stop being it. Not only does it make you look like an awful person, it will affect advertisers and brands who may want to affiliate with you. Think before you tweet. It isn’t hard. THINK. And if you do say something stupid, just apologise. Although on the other hand, if you’re a closet dickface, make it public so we know and can hate you.


5.     Be nice.

I can’t talk for every “sector”, but there’s a LOT of animosity in the food-blogging world in particular. I’m still not sure why. So why doesn’t everyone stop all the crap and just be nice? We’re all in this together.Exception: if another blogger is a dickface, you don’t have to be nice to them just because you’re scared of making waves. Make waves. Make waves all over the place. The rest of the non-dickface bloggers will respect you even more.


6.     Be humble.

No matter how many followers our blog may have in relation to another, less or more, I’m intimidated by even the smallest out there. Just because people follow you today, doesn’t mean they are going to be there tomorrow. Don’t forget that without that following you would have nothing. Because really, if the internet explodes and dies, your blog is going down with it.


7.     This isn’t a Spelling Bee.

People make typos. Get over it. If you see a blatant mistake in a blog post, inbox the person about it. Don’t make a fuss as if knowing the difference between grammer and grammar makes you anything special. Or everyone will hate you.


8.     #Hashtag #hashtag

#Tweets #and #Instagram #shouldn’t #look #like #this #or #everyone #will #hate #you.


9.     Competitions

Like me on Facebook, tweet me, follow me on twitter, follow the brand on twitter, comment on my wall and their wall, comment on the post, write your own blog, short story and poem about the competition, and compliment me. Come on guys, make a competition relatively easy to enter, or, you guessed it – everyone will hate you.


10. Know it all.


Don’t be a know it all. Oh wait… *reads post* Oh well, everyone is going to hate me.

Have anything to add? Comment and I may add it to the post with your details if you want to be referenced. If you're feeling a little sensitive about this post, maybe it is because you're also feeling a little guilty. 
UPDATE


11. You love me, you really love me.

Someone complimented you online? That's nice. For you. And only you. You do not need to "quote tweet" the tweet to respond "thanks" - you can just reply to them. And when you RT every single compliment, not only do you look like an asshole blogger, you seem like an arrogant, desperate, attention-seeking asshole blogger. And everyone will hate you. (suggested by @DrizzleandDip)


12. One BILLION followers.

Wow, you have so many followers. Wow, your reach is amazing. Wow, people living in Mexico are avid followers of your blog! When you go to bed at night with 500 followers and wake up with 10,000 more, just saying "Shew! Where did all these new followers come from?" just isn't going to cut it. We're on to you. And one day, when brands catch on that people buy followers and up their readership, they'll be on to you too. (suggested by @onestilettoblog)

13. Ctrl C + Ctrl V.

Your latest post reminds me of something I saw somewhere. What was it? Umm... Ummm... Was is an email? Ummm...OH YES! It was the Press Release that I received too. Now don't get me wrong, every now and then I'll want to tell readers about something that I haven't experienced for myself, so I can't write an opinion. BUT. And but is the important part. I will always write my own introduction and make it very clear what part is the Press Release. You can't pretend you wrote it yourself fool, or everyone is going to hate you. (suggested by @lipglossgirl)


14. I WANT TO BE FAMOUS!

"How do I make a really cool blog so I can get cool stuff?" I've been asked this countless times. And my reply is always the same. "You don't make a blog for stuff. You make a blog because it is something you want in your life. You have a passion for the subject, and for writing. You love what you do and are willing to work bloody hard, for no money and often no recognition, just because it means something to you. If you want a blog because you want stuff, rather just go open a business or sleep with your boss. And in unrelated news, I hate you." (suggested by @foodandthefab)

15. The world is my selfie.

Hey guys, just because you think you are one sexy piece of ass does NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT mean that you have to take photos of yourself all the time. You also don't have to feature in every banner, carousal, etc etc on your site. You also don't have to add an arbitrary photo of yourself looking "hawt" to every blog post. A brand sent you a new wine/top/pen/shampoo? I promise that you don't need to organise a professional photoshoot just to take a photo of it. If your entire blog survives on the fact that you are attractive, something is probably wrong. And everyone probably hates you. 

16. I love everything.

If you love every brand, you love nothing. You can't jump from brand to brand doing and saying anything for cash dollah or free stuff. And if you do? Everyone will hate you.



33 comments:

  1. Best bit: "Exception: if another blogger is a dickface, you don’t have to be nice to them just because you’re scared of making waves." It can be very scrappy in mommy blogging circles too, I assure you. Now excuse me while I tweet about how I'll write in exchange for free nappies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it isn't just the food world. But sad that it is such a widespread problem. x

      Delete
  2. I agree with Stacey - was also my BEST bit. And dude don't you dare tweet that. WE MUST STAND UNITED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst is the blegging. Bloggers that post about events and campaigns that they weren't even invited to - then hyperlink and tag every event sponsor in the blog post. And put up their logos. And tag every brand in the world on twitter hoping to get noticed. It's so desperate - I don't know where to look :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU Kayli! Thank you for finally writing about this. You've hit the nail on the head...and made my laugh while doing it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As today is a day for honesty I had to leave a comment! I am probably guilty as charged when it comes to a few of these "blogging sins" but sometimes you learn bad habits from good people!like sheep we follow what others are doing but you eventually realise there is more to life than how many followers you have and who likes you!I am slowly learning that it is ok to say no and be true to who I am rather than please others! So thanks for sharing this some hard truths but in the end we all make mistakes but it is what we learn from them and how we use this to move forward! (sorry if I am rambling)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not rambling at all. I appreciate your honesty. Everyone makes mistakes. I am pretty sure that I have. I am also pretty sure that plenty people think I am an asshole blogger. But we learn as we go... x

      Delete
  8. Amen! It had to be said and so glad you said it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha I so enjoyed this. actually many of these things are what led to me more or less giving up on the blogging world. ok ok that and I suddenly just got really lazy.
    That said #you #should #still #all #totally #check #out #my #awesome #but #outdates #blog
    @Typo @Vibram5fingers @naartjiekids @any sushi restaurants in the vicinity
    ok bye :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only recently discovered your personal blog and already love it because of the brilliant articles such as these. Blogging is such a confusing and murky pool in SA still and one often does the whole follow the sheep thing initially to find ones footing. I am guilty of some of these too especially in the beginning.

    I feel that when it comes to blogging you either fall into one of two catergories- write your heart out and develop a loyal readership that appreciates how much they can relate to you/situations or write about your passions but ensure to market your blog as a personal brand.

    I can't stand bleggers who demand things but will not translate how the exposure is of any value to the brand. Some may have stats but what is their bounce rate and reader engagement. Also don't get me started on how some bloggers exorbitantly inflate their stats, even their stat readers on their blogs and Twitter followers yet brands flock to them and they win awards etc. But look behind the scenes and it shows a web of lies (pun intended).

    Write what you love, learn to market yourself wisely. A hey look at me brand xyz (that you posted about because you do love them not expecting anything) is okay every now and then but not every single time they tweet.

    #RantOver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and the exceptionally valid comment. I agree completely :)
      I am particularly unimpressed with bloggers who fake their stats and buy followers. As if we don't notice it? As if it isn't obvious?

      Ps. I stopped using my personal blog for ages. My day job and foodblog take up so much time. But I've been itching to get back to writing about something other than food. And great comments like yours, make me realise I should carry on. So thank you, again.

      Delete
  11. Good for you KayliVee. I love you and I love your backbone. Your blogpost cheered me up in a week during which I have felt despondent about poisonous blogposts written about lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, great post, KayliVee :) What are your thoughts on being open about sponsored Tweets/product reviews? This question was brought to you by etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on what it is and how it was sent.

      If a brand sends me something and I don't find it very impressive, I just won't write about it. The time it takes to write, is not necessarily worth the product. Also, if I don't think there is a reason our followers would be interested in it, no point in writing. If it is amazing I will, and I will say, "The other day XXX sent me YYY". Or something along those lines.

      We don't do "paid for" restaurant reviews. Yeah, I may not always pay for my food - but that doesn't ensure a positive review.

      I think that when you have nothing to hide, and you don't feel you owe a brand because they pay you, you are more confident about being honest. And when we are paid for actual advertising, once again - I will be honest and if the brand doesn't like it. Cheerio. My reputation is more important to me than money.

      I am not sure if that answers your question? I think I just rambled on about nothing! Haha!



      Delete
    2. Thank you- I think your answer has plenty of blogging integrity. I guess people utilise blogs for different levels of commercial activity, and don't always think about the implications their content angles may have for their community.

      Delete
  13. kayli for president - you rock on lady!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Blegging" love that word :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. *oops* - checks self to make sure that none of the above is true.

    In all seriousness - this is an excellent post and should be read by all bloggers and bleggers(even if to remind us that sometimes we slip up and make the cardinal mistakes)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great topic, someone had to say it ;) Thanks for keeping us all in check ;) - fellow Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post! My biggest pet peeve is unfriendly bloggers or those with a chip on the shoulder, also, when you actually post photos of other bloggers on a post, say you attended an event, it's common courtesy to at least just mention you met so-and-so especially if you're posting photos of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny that a few comment-leavers here are guilty of just this list.

    ie, wanted to say commenters, but I apply number seven quite strictly to myself.

    Anyway, on to the next on. Thanks for this list, it really should act as an eye opener for a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMEN sister, this is my favourite part:

    "You don't make a blog for stuff. You make a blog because it is something you want in your life. You have a passion for the subject, and for writing. You love what you do and are willing to work bloody hard, for no money and often no recognition, just because it means something to you."

    Too many bloggers *expect* to be paid for EVERYTHING they publish that is brand related. I have seen some bloggers actually complain online about other bloggers that post about an event or a brand and giving it exposure when they aren't getting paid for. What ever happened to good old fashion 'sharing is caring'. And if a blogger likes something and think it deserves a bit of recognition then why can they not post about it? Not everything has to be paid for.

    My two cents x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed,

      BUT on the other hand, I hate it when people expect you to write just because they have given you something. I was once given a R20 bottle of wine. Then harassed because I hadn't written about it. Time is money, and the hour or so it would have taken to write about an ok bottle of wine, was not worth my while.

      Not only would it make me look like I enjoyed some arb R20 bottle of wine that was just ok, but it is space on our site which I could be using for something else.

      Delete
  20. I love this. Its so true. I see it all the time. I get so annoyed. It makes me feel like I need to make waves and be a dickface because they are just total dickfaces. Its embarrassing. I did a similar post,but more on the fashion blogging aspect of how some bloggers are just fake and craving local fame with no actual inspiring work. http://diaryofajones.blogspot.com/2013/05/cutting-edge-phresh-off-runway-phresh.html?m=1 ,this post just says it all. I love it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://diaryofajones.blogspot.com/2013/05/cutting-edge-phresh-off-runway-phresh.html

      sorry had a link malfunction

      Delete
  21. Love this, and as an oldie, new to all this, learned a lot. Now am going to be truly old fashioned and print it out. Thanks, informative and funny, Di Brown

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know if that fits on the list, but I recently realized that a lot of bloggers write about PR events they get invited to. They take pics of the products, write about the bubbly they drank and the canapés they ate and photo booth pictures they took. And I read it and wonder - who cares? Especially in a small blogging community like Cape Town you get the same bloggers then covering the same events and it reads like they all copy and pasted from each other. Maybe I'm having a rant moment, but that is not original, quality content to me. If you get invited and want to write about it, make it amazing, make it fun, and please find a different angle than telling me about the goodie bag you got to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha absolutely love this and it should be a compulsory read for all bloggers - big and small! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've just stumbled on this now and it's still so relevant!

    ReplyDelete